Monday, October 13, 2008

My BlogHer Boston Recap

Okay, I am attempting to write a BlogHer Boston recap. I will tell you that Meghan is right now banging on the floor under the table like it is a drum and I am dangerously close to the end of Sean's naptime....But, here it goes.

This was my first blogging conference so I was not sure what to expect. I tried to gather as much info as I could from recaps of the last conference and chatter on Twitter. What I learned was that business cards were a good idea and to try to reach out and meet as many people as possible.

I got there a bit early because I am always afraid I'll get lost. So I spent that time walking around to the sponsors tables.

I don't think I captured everything here. It has been a few days and I think some of it got sucked into the black hole that is my house.

There were two tracks to follow. One was geared towards those relatively new to blogging. The other examined the Social Media aspect of blogging. Even though I an not a complete newbie I decided track 1 was better for me. I was not disappointed. I learned a few technical tip (note the recent comments section now on the right) and heard some great discussions. There are some things I know I need to change about my blog and I learned a bit on how to attract new readers.

I would generally sit and quetly take all of this in with little interaction with other. That's just me. But, in the spirit of the social piece of the event (and in part to an initial getting to know you exercise), I met some interesting people. I got to meet a few ladies who's blogs I had read before (including Chicky Chicky Baby and Fairly Odd Mother) and a whole mess of new ones to check out.


Look! Proof that I attempted to socialize.

I started this blog originally with no real intention that it would be anything but a place for family to check in on our lives. But it has since grown into something a bit more. Now I am at the point where I am trying to take a closer look at what I have. Do I like the name? (Um, no, but I cannot think of a better one yet.) Do I like the layout? (It's okay. But I need to do some housekeeping.) Do I want to spend more time making it into what it should really be? (Not sure.) Do I want to keep this one and come up with a less personal site that covers a topic that I might know a bit about? (Perhaps, but the time it would take to do that? Not sure.)

So as I go off and try and figure out my life, I will leave you with links to some of the people I met this weekend. Enjoy!

Tania at Chicky Chicky Baby
Christina at Fairly Odd Mother
Liz at The Power of Educational Technology
Dawn at Coming to a Nursery Near You
Chester County Moms
Roxanna at Miguelina
Sassymonkey
Kimberly at LadyGypsy.net
Alicia at Oh2122
Renee at almost foodies
Megan at Megan's Minute
Melissa at the collection space

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorene! Thanks for the linky love and it was great to meet you at BlogHer! Thanks for the suggestion on the drink, too! LOL I'm glad you "attempted to socialize" - I am the same way, but this time, took the chance and was rewarded greatly!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorene. Thanks so much for the link! Much like you, I came home with several take-aways from the conference, but somehow still had an endless supply of questions to think about. I guess that's why you go to these things.

It was great to meet you and I will make sure to forward your link to a friend of mine who lives in your town.
Melissa

Megan said...

Hi Dorene,

It was great to chat with you at BlogHer Boston! I love your photo of all the business cards, including mine, and I look forward to seeing the new changes you make to your blog.

Megan

Everydaytreats said...

My card is famous! It was great meeting you :)

Anonymous said...

hello!

it was great to meet you at blogher. i'm looking forward to getting to know you on your blog and twitter.

thanks for reminding me about wordless wednesday!